print | Share: email to a friend share with facebook share with twitter share with LinkedIn share with Pinterest

Greater Kanawha Valley Foundation NonProfit Community Organizations / Foundations

900 Lee Street, E-Ste. 1600
Charleston, WV 25301-1761
(304) 346-3620 | 1-800-467-5909
Fax: (304) 346-3640
Click here to visit the GKVF website
View Map
Located on the corner of Lee and Dickinson Streets in the Huntington Banks Bldg. on the 16th floor
M-F, 9am-5pm

about us

For half-a-century, The Greater Kanawha Valley Foundation has granted approximately $90 million to various nonprofit agencies serving those in need, as well as providing scholarships for students to attend college.

A charitable community trust, The Greater Kanawha Valley Foundation, was organized in 1962 to accept contributions, create and administer funds, and make grants for the benefit of the people of the Greater Kanawha Valley. The Foundation is a collection of many separate Funds varying in size from $10,000 to more than $7 million. There were more than 400 Funds at the end of 2011. Each fund is separate with its own agreement, its own donors, and its own philanthropic purposes.

The Foundation, through its trustee banks and managers, invests the principal of each Fund for the continued production of distributable income. It distributes that income to a wide variety of organizations and individuals in accordance with the provisions of the instrument creating each Fund. Areas in which the Foundation makes these grants include arts and culture, education, health, human services, land use, recreation, or other charitable areas of interest.

The Foundation serves the counties of Boone, Clay, Fayette, Kanawha, Lincoln and Putnam.